X-PERT HEALTH - Type 2
- Courses run weekdays, Saturdays and evenings
- Courses are 6 x 2.5 hour sessions
- Groups of up to 18 people (plus supporting relatives or friends)
- Multiple course locations available across south London
X-PERT is one of the longest-standing diabetes education courses for people with Type 2 diabetes. There are different X-PERT courses available so that you can find the one that best suits you, whether you are newly diagnosed or have had diabetes for a while and are about to start on insulin.
X-PERT is a face-to-face group course of six sessions, each 2 ½ hours long. It is a course facilitated by a trained healthcare professional, with up to 18 people with Type 2 diabetes in each session. Usually you will complete all six sessions with the same group of people, but there is some flexibility to book into different sessions if you need to.
There is the option to bring a family member or friend along to some or all of the sessions.
X-PERT is based on person-centred discovery learning and uses peer-to-peer learning and visual aids to help you understand your diabetes and health. The course is regularly audited and quality assured, with trainers following a written curriculum.
What can X-PERT do for my diabetes?
The original X-PERT clinical trial showed improvement in sugar and cholesterol levels, as well as better lifestyle choices, such as eating more fruit and vegetables. Many people lose weight and reduce their waist size after attending the course. This can lead to needing fewer medications. They feel more able to manage their health and often more knowledgeable about their diabetes.
Who is X-PERT best suited to?
X-PERT is best suited to people who:
- Enjoy sharing their experiences, interacting with and learning from others
- Prefer to practice what they have learnt between each session before returning for more information
- Would like flexibility in booking sessions at different times, including weekends and evenings
- It is conducted in English, so you will need to have a good grasp of English language.