What is MyDesmond
MyDesmond is an online interactive self-management programme for people with type 2 diabetes. It is based on the award-winning Desmond self-management diabetes education programme, this free online version brings all the content and research evidence from the face-to-face programme onto a portable interactive web based platform for you to discover on a mobile device.
MyDesmond features all the diabetes related content you need as well as booster sessions allowing you to interact with the programme on an on-going basis. If you want to be motivated on a physical activity challenge then you can invite your friends and family to support you on the challenge (we recognise that in many cases you may now be more limited with your outdoor activity due to coronavirus). Learn more about Type 2 diabetes through our interactive learning and 8-weekly booster session
- Ask the Expert – where you’ll have the multi-disciplinary team of the Leicester Diabetes Centre at your fingertips
- Track your activity levels and even link up to the Fitbit or Google Fit
- Track your weight, blood pressure, HbA1c, diet and cholesterol
- Set daily goals that fit around your lifestyle
- Compete with others in our online DESMOND community on the global leader boards
- Chat with members of the DESMOND community
- Invite your friends and family to join you in your journey online
MyDesmond is an online programme providing education that you can do at your own pace. It provides a number of interactive modules to help you better understand what having diabetes means and what you can do to help you feel more in control and reduce the longer term risks that can happen with diabetes. You can also Ask the Expert for help with questions you may have. You can track your activity and weight and set goals for yourself. You can invite your friends and family to support you.
How can the MyDesmond programme help me?
The online MyDesmond programme includes all the same content as the face to face courses but modified to be effective as an online interactive programme. People taking part in the DESMOND courses have enjoyed improved confidence in self-management of their diabetes, weight loss (up to 3kg) and smoking cessation (3 times more likely). DESMOND delivers changes in people’s health beliefs, which leads to changes in health behaviour.
Is MyDesmond suited to me?
- MyDesmond is ideal if you
- Want the opportunity to do a programme online at your own pace
- Want to be able to learn more about diabetes and how to feel more in control
- Want to benefit from the expertise and experience that has been developed over many years from the Desmond education programme
- Are English speaking and have a good understanding of written and spoken English