What is DAFNE?
DAFNE stands for Dose Adjustment For Normal Eating. It is a FREE programme for adults with Type 1 diabetes registered with a GP in south London or receiving Type 1 diabetes specialist care in south London.
- DAFNE is a way of managing Type 1 diabetes and will provide you with the skills necessary to estimate the carbohydrate in each meal and to inject the right dose of insulin
- The aim of DAFNE is to help you lead as normal a life as possible, while controlling your blood glucose levels, hence reducing the risk of long-term diabetes complications
- Run by DAFNE educated local healthcare professionals who are experts in Type 1 diabetes
- DAFNE programmes are a friendly, supportive environment, where everyone is working towards a common goal
DAFNE is a 5-day programme (usually 9am to 5pm Monday to Friday or split over five weeks) plus a follow-up session around 8 weeks after the course.
The DAFNE course is about learning from experience. During the week you practice the skills of carbohydrate estimation and insulin adjustment.
There are 6-8 people in each group, all with Type 1 diabetes. You can bring a family member or friend along to support you on the first day if you wish.
How can the DAFNE programme help me?
Research has shown that people who complete the DAFNE programme benefit because: - They are more likely to have better diabetes control and a lower HbA1c - It improves confidence in how people feel in looking after their diabetes themselves - They have improved general well-being scores
Is DAFNE suited to me?
DAFNE is ideal if you
- Enjoy interacting with others, sharing stories and learning from others experience
- Want the opportunity to talk with healthcare professionals who specialise in diabetes
- Inject your insulin, fast and long-acting, at least 4 times per day
- Check your blood sugars at least 4 times per day
- Are English speaking and have a good understanding of written and spoken English
What will I have to do on the programme?
To attend you will need to commit to attend all five days. The DAFNE programme is built around group activities, but there will be opportunities for individuals to speak to an educator on their own if they wish. You can contribute as much or as little as you like; there’s no pressure to speak up if you don’t want to. However, you will get much more out of the sessions if you come prepared to share your experiences, thoughts and opinions.
What if I decide this is not for me?
If you decide DAFNE is not for you, there are other options. Look at (link to other courses) or ring our friendly call centre for more information and to book.